Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with this delicious vegan chilli recipe. Packed with vitamins, minerals and fibre, it will fuel you through a long day of work, yoga and anything else.
This recipe is courtesy of Veganuary which has loads of other great recipes and tips for vegan eating. Well worth checking out and bookmarking.
- 600g sweet potato (peeled and cut in 1.5cm dice)
- 1 large red pepper (cut in 2cm dice)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 400g can chickpeas (drained)
- 250ml water
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tbsp chilli powder (according to taste)
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 limes
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 bunch fresh coriander to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Fry together onion, garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, chili powder and cinnamon until onion is soft.
- Add diced sweet potato, red pepper, canned tomatoes and water.
- Bring to boil. Then cooked covered under medium heat for 10 mins.
- Add black beans, chickpeas, and cider vinegar. Cook uncovered under medium heat for 20mins until vegetables are cooked and liquid has thickened.
- Add cocoa powder, sugar, lime juice and season to taste.
- Add chopped fresh coriander just before serving.
Share your favourite Mexican recipe in the comments!