May is a wonderful month for healthful, delicious seasonal greens. New leaves are just waiting to be mixed with fresh herbs for a refreshing, nutrient-packed salad.
Moral Fibres has a handy PDF of what’s in season now, which you can download here.
The great thing about leafy greens and herbs is that you can mix and match to suit almost any meal, or increase the quantities to make a simple, healing main course.
- Lamb’s lettuce
- Baby Spinach
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, shredded or Feta cheese, crumbled
- Toasted almonds
- Cherry tomatoes
- Baby asparagus spears, pan-seared
- Wash and pat dry the greens
- Wash, pat dry and de-stem the herbs
- Toss all together in a large wooden or glass bowl
- Dress with oil, lemon, salt and pepper to taste
- Top with any optional extras to serve
What ingredients would you add to make a spectacular salad? Share in the comments!