September is a fantastic month for British seasonal food. With a huge variety of fruit and veg at its prime, it is the perfect time to experiment with salads and soups. This simple slaw of fennel, apple and celery is crisp, full of flavour, and travels well. Pop it in Tupperware for lunch or a refreshing post-yoga snack. For more inspiration and to read the original recipe visit Epicurious.
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced diagonally, plus 1/4 cup loosely packed celery leaves
- 2 small fennel bulbs, thinly sliced crosswise, plus 1 tbsp chopped fennel fronds
- 1 firm, crisp apple (such as Pink Lady, Gala, or Granny Smith), julienned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely diced fresh chilli (optional)
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add celery and celery leaves, thinly sliced fennel and chopped fennel fronds, and apple; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Share your favourite fennel recipe or tip in the comments!