Since my last post was on the importance of B12 I wanted to share this B12-rich vegan mac’n’cheeze recipe from a friend. It is free from dairy and gluten, packed with B12 from the nutritional yeast, and seriously rich and tasty while being low-fat!
- 400g thick rice noodles
- 75g nutritional yeast
- 4 Tbsp tahini
- 120ml soy sauce or tamari
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup fresh spinach, torn (optional)
- Fill a large pot about two-thirds full of water, add rice noodles and bring to the boil
- Cook the noodles for 8-10 minutes, until soft then remove from heat
- Drain excess water so the surface of the noodles and the water are about equal
- Add the tahini, tamari and vinegar and stir in
- Add the nutritional yeast gradually, stirring out any lumps
- If desired, add olive oil to create an extra-silky texture
- Add the spices and season to taste
- Stir in cherry tomatoes and spinach for a colorful finish
You can also top this with grilled tofu, avocado, or crumbled roasted nori seaweed.
Share your best topping tip in the comments!