Seasonal eating means getting the most out of your food. When food is fresh it tastes better and, surprise surprise, is better for you. Not only that, it lets you benefit from the wisdom of nature which yields foods that are exactly what we need at the time. Right now loads of light, delicious, nutrient packed fruit and veg are in season. Combined with fresh herbs they provide exactly what your body needs.
Choose the herbs in this salad to taste. Dill and mint are lovely alone or together; coriander gives it a refreshing tang. Flat-leaf parsley can also be a nice addition. If you don’t do dairy, leave off the yogurt and use a simple dressing of good extra-virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar.
Cool Cucumber and Potato Salad
- 300g new potatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- 100g mange tout or baby peas
- Large handful fresh dill & mint, coriander or flat-leaf parsley
- 80g plain natural yogurt
- 2 Tbsp organic lemon juice
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper
- Boil the potatoes until tender, 15-25 minutes depending on the size
- Refrigerate until cool, preferably overnight
- If very small, leave whole, otherwise halve
- Peel and slice cucumber
- Cut mange tout in half
- De-stem and chop the herbs
- Toss the vegetables in a bowl with the fresh herbs, yogurt, and lemon juice
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
Share your favourite seasonal salad recipe or tip in the comments!