Yoga Holiday with Paul came around quick this year! The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and it is a great pleasure to be back at Quinta Mimosa in the Algarve with a wonderful, diverse group of yogis. Here’s a peek at our five yoga retreat essentials.
1. Sleep: One of the most important things you can do on a yoga retreat is sleep! Most of us are routinely sleep-deprived due to work or family commitments. This affects us physically and mentally, and makes it harder to achieve the balance that is the goal of yoga. On a retreat, make a conscious effort to get more rest than you would at home.
2. Talk: We observe silence in the studio but outside, it’s good to talk. Often in daily life our communication is just functional – talking about where we need to go or what needs to be done. Retreats are a chance to have relaxed, meaningful conversations that help us see ourselves and the world in new ways.
3. Dance: One of my favourite things about leading Yoga Holiday with Paul is doing yoga with music. Life is better with spontaneous outbreaks of dancing!
4. Eat: Gathering for meals to enjoy delicious vegetarian whole-foods is one of the essential elements of our retreat. What we eat directly influences every part of our body, as well as our mental state. Students are always amazed how good they feel after a week of clean eating.
5. Yoga: Last but not least – retreats are a chance to do lots and lots of yoga. Having two sessions a day allows you to go deeper, explore your body’s potential, and overcome physical and mental resistance. Doing that much yoga can sound intimidating initially but even novice students thrive on the challenge. As ever, the key is to listen to your body and appreciate each posture.
What are your yoga holiday essentials? Share in the comments!