The transition from winter to spring is a critical time of year. We move from the cold, dark and quiet of winter to light, warmth (we hope!) and increased activity. Giving our minds and bodies a ‘spring clean’ can help us shake off the effects of winter — whether physical or mental — and prepare us for a vibrant, active summer.
Here are a five tips for using Bikram yoga to spring clean:
1. Practice More: Do an extra class or two each week for the next month. The hours in the hot yoga room will accelerate physical cleansing and detox, and boost your endurance.
2. Switch Your Schedule: Your body changes throughout the day. If you always practice in the morning throw in an evening class once a week, or vice versa. Observe the changes to your strength, endurance and attitude.
3. Use Complementary Therapies: Treat your mind and body to something new, like a massage, a dance class, or an acupuncture session.
4. Hydrate Your Body: Hydration is especially important as your body adjusts to warmer days and sweating outside the studio. If you normally just drink water add electrolytes to your Bikram practice. Coconut water is ideal, or you can make a homemade electrolyte drink by adding honey or agave, lemon juice and a pinch of salt to water.
5. Practice Mindfulness: Bikram yoga is a 90-minute moving meditation — don’t get so caught up in the movements you forget to meditate! Try to consciously increase the mindfulness of your practice over the next few weeks, observing thoughts that come up, identifying negative emotions or self-talk, and using the breath to ground your practice in the body.
What are your top tips for ‘spring cleaning’? Share in the comments!