Some of you will have heard me rave about Gyrotonics before, for those of you who haven’t, here goes 🙂
Gyrotonics uses specially designed machines to work your muscles in a very specific fashion. Like Pilates, it was created by a dancer and is designed to increase flexibilty and range of motion, build core strength, ease joints and more.
I take classes with the wonderful Elaine at
According to their website there are
10 key reasons to do Gyrotonics:
- Mobilise the spine and free the joints
- Develop profound core body strength
- Release tension in the body
- Enhance neuromuscular stimulation
- Detoxify with specific breathing patterns
- Improve three-dimensional range of movement
- Develop body alignment awareness
- Increase bone strength and density
- Revitalise your natural energy
- Balance symmetry in the body
I can vouch for all these positive effects and add that it is a remarkably calming practice. Bikram yoga is a mainstay of my personal wellbeing, but doing complementary exercises like Gyrotonic is great for increasing physical awareness and strength, using muscles differently, and giving your mind a new challenge!
Questions or comments please!
Gyrotonic fans who would like to share their thoughts in the comments? Please do!